We’ve been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award
We were delighted to be nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by the fantastic GIRL ABOUT EUROPE It was a lovely surprise and it reminded us of how welcoming the blogging community is, especially on twitter. We have been falling behind on our blog posts and everything else that goes into the work behind the blog so this has been a great motivator and confidence boost. So, again, thank you so much to Girl About Europe for the nomination, it couldn’t have come at a better time.
What is Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is for bloggers to recognise each other’s hard work and passion that goes into the creative process of blogging. It’s an incredible opportunity to share insights, spread positivity and shine some sunshine on the busy people behind the blogs. First things first. Here are the rules for the Sunshine Blogger Award.
We’ve done our very best to answer the questions and we enjoyed how they really made us stop and think.
1. How different is your life compared to one year ago?
In many ways it’s the same. We’re still based at home in Ireland. It’s been a rough year with the loss of Orla’s beloved granny and then her Mam has been really sick but we’ve come through the otherside relatively unscathed. Our blog is just over a year old and we’ve learned absolutely loads on this journey and connected with so many people from the lovely community of travel bloggers. They are a constant source of inspiration and positivity and we’re a little bit more confident now in our lifestyle choices. We’re keeping it simple, house sitting in Ireland and abroad as much as possible. Neil’s photography business is taking off so we feel really lucky that we can continue travelling and growing the blog. So far, so good anyway!
2. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
Orla says: I’d go back to Canada in a heartbeat. We spent a year working in a hostel in Jasper National Park and a piece of my heart is still there.
Neil says: It depends on what day you catch me on. I would either toss it up between Japan or Canada. Japan holds a special place for me as I grew up watching Japanese movies and I am fascinated by the history, food and culture. When it comes to Canada, there is nothing more beautiful than standing atop the Rockies, taking in the epic views and getting the chance to meet some of the most friendliest people on the planet.
3. Where’s the funniest place you’ve ever fallen asleep?
Orla: Under a table in a beach bar in Thailand and nobody knew I was there. A search party went looking for me on the beach but I was fast asleep! Wandered out to cries of ‘OOORRRLLAAAA’ and relief I was alive! Woops!
Neil: A barn (it wasn’t pleasant).
4. Have you ever conquered a fear?
Orla: Yes. I got in the water with baby reef sharks. I’ve watched ‘Jaws’ every Christmas since I was 4 years old so I was suitably terrorised by the mere notion of a shark near me!
Neil: Yes. Heights have always been a fear of mine and the first breakthrough was when we visited Peru and we made the dizzying climb up Huayna Picchu. It was well worth it!
5. What’s your personal anthem?
Orla: Brave are the chancers!
Neil: Life in every breath!
6. Can you speak any other languages?
Nope only little bits from a few languages so we always manage somehow!
7. If you could meet your 15 year old self what 1 piece of advice would you give?
Orla: I couldn’t fit it all in here!
Neil: Believe in yourself more.
8. What inspired you to start your blog?
We’ve always loved heading out the door on a new adventure but we’re really crap at diary keeping even though we both loved the idea of it! We relish the opportunity to interact with like-minded people and hope that sharing our experiences will be the inspiration that someone needs to go out and see the world! We strongly believe in being part of a diverse and enriching community where people join us to both inspire and be inspired.
9. Describe your fashion style in 3 words.
Orla: Room. To. Expand.
Neil: Practical. Comfy. Hard-wearing.
10. Are you a procrastinator?
Neil: Yes but less so than I used to be.
11. 3 things you couldn’t live without.
Orla: Music. Hiking Boots. Moisturiser.
Neil: Camera. Hiking Boots. Music.
11 Questions for our nominations
1. What was your favourite place/travel destination this year so far (2018)?
2. If you could recommend one hidden gem from your home city/town what would it be?
3. How old were you when you first went on a plane and where was it to?
4. Have you ever travelled all by yourself? When/where was it and how did it feel?
5. Craziest/weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
6. What/who do you miss most when you travel?
7. Have you ever come close to quitting your blog? If so, what inspired you to keep going?
8. What has been the most disappointing travel destination?
9. If your blog isn’t your full time job, what do you work at? What do you spend time on outside blogging?
10. Would you take the one-way journey to be the first travel blogger on Mars? Why?
11. Where do you hope to see yourself/blog in 5 years?